Above is a postcard of Bandon from 1928 showing the welcome
arch on Second Street.
Notice the building at the far end on the left. It still stands today.
The following is a listing of significant events of the area since that time. Mary Capps, who put this listing together, is a lifelong resident of this area.
|pre-1850||Area inhabited by the Coquille (Ko-quell) Native American Tribe.|
|1851||Gold discovered at nearby Whiskey Run Beach by French Trappers.|
|1852||Henry Baldwin, from Cork County, Ireland, was shipwrecked on the Coos Bay Bar and walked into this area.|
|1853||First settlers established present town site.|
|1856||Native resistance to white settlement is defeated and Indians go to Siletz Reservation.|
|1859||“Twin Sisters” sailed into Coquille River and thus opened for all inland produce and resources.|
|1873||George Bennett with sons Joseph and George A., and Mr. Sealy, come from Bandon, Ireland.|
|1874||Town’s first name of Averill is changed to Bandon.|
|1876||Joseph Williams and 3 sons arrived from Bandon, Ireland the election has 15 voters.|
|1877||Post Office is established.|
|1880||Cheese-making began and Congress appropriated money for the jetty.|
|1883||First sawmill, schoolhouse, and Catholic Church.|
|1884||Army Corps of Engineers begin jetty construction.|
|1886||School District #54 established.|
|1888||First ocean-going schooner to be built in Bandon is completed.|
|1890||Census shows a population of 219.|
|1891||City of Bandon is incorporated February 18, 1891.|
|1893||Woolen Mill established.|
|1896||Bandon Lighthouse built.|
|1897-98||Jetty constructed on Coquille River.|
|1900||Census shows a population of 645.|
|1910||Population reaches 1,803 as town becomes a primary tourist attraction on the Oregon coast.|
|1912||Bandon has developed as a principle port between San Francisco and Portland...300 vessels visit during the year.|
|1914||Fire destroys the waterfront business district.|
|1921||Bandon Electric Company was established.|
|Early 1930's||First cranberry cooperative formed by local growers.|
|1936||The Great Fire of 1936.|
|1936-46||Town begins to rebuild, areas west of the highway and the downtown area were rebuilt.|
|1947||First Bandon Cranberry Festival.|
|1950's||City’s steady growth continues.|
|1962||Bandon airport dedicated.|
|1970's||Business District moves to south of town along the highway.|
|Approx. 1970||Wastewater Treatment Plant was built.|
|1970||Current Bandon City Hall was dedicated.|
|1974||Bandon High School burns.|
|1980’s||Old Town area is re-developed, new boat basin and shopping in East Bandon constructed.|
|Approx. 1980||Current Water Plant was established.|
|1981||The current Bandon City Charter was adopted.|
|1989||Population is 2535.|
|Early 1990’s||Forest products industry still continues. Cranberries, fishing, cheese-making and tourism are major industries.|
|1991||City Centennial Celebration.|
|1993||Wastewater Treatment Plant upgrade dedication.|
|1996||Centennial celebration of the Lighthouse held.|
|2000||Population is 2,833.|
|2010||Population is 3,066|
View of welcome arch on Second Street in August, 2002. Note that the building at the end on the left is the same as in the picture at the top of this page.
Though officially "The Beachmen," the group more popularly known as the "Sons of the Beaches" were recruited from and sponsored by Bandon's Chamber of Commerce.Read About It!
George Bennett's first trip down the Coquille River with his two sons was an adventure that became the beginning of Bandon.Read About It!
Proposed in 1927, the golf course farthest west in America was officially opened in June 1928.Read About It!
Founded in 1953 on Langlois Mountain the school moved to Bandon in 1962. Its last class to graduate was in 1981.Read About It!
4000 people enjoyed the free fish fry sponsored by the Bandon Chamber of Commerce.Read About It!
May Day is not widely celebrated in Bandon any more, but the museum has a trove of information about May Day celebrations in the past. Read About It!
Heated, indoor swimming was a highly anticipated event in Bandon in the summer of 1925.Read About It!
Bandon never had a rail connection with the outside world, however, a horrific logging railroad accident made headlines in 1912. Read About It!